The Los Angeles Lakers signed Nick Smith Jr. to a standard two-year NBA contract on April 15, just before the end of the 2025-26 season, after waiving Kobe Bufkin. Head coach JJ Redick said the move was made so that Smith, who had been on a two-way contract, would be eligible for the upcoming playoffs.
The decision comes as the Lakers prepare to start the first round of the 2026 NBA Playoffs without key players Luka Doncic and Austin Reaves. This created a need in the backcourt that Smith is expected to help fill.
Redick addressed why Smith was chosen over Drew Timme for the open roster spot: “Obviously a difficult decision. Drew (Timme) has been awesome for us. Frankly, we’re missing two of our primary ball-handlers,” Redick said. “We need Nick, we need his shooting as well. A lot of discussion, a lot of debate over the last few days about that.”
Although Timme showed potential late in the season and Houston—the Lakers’ first-round opponent—is known for its physical play and size, Redick said more emergency ball-handlers were needed due to injuries among guards like Doncic and Reaves.
Smith has had limited opportunities behind established guards such as Marcus Smart and Luke Kennard but has shown flashes as an on-ball threat during his time with Los Angeles. While he may not play significant minutes against Houston’s strong defense in the playoffs, he will be available if called upon.
After signing his new deal, Smith said he looked forward to being part of postseason action rather than watching from afar.



